Day 12 – 6/2 – Amazon Jungle/Travel Home

6:30AM – We got up early and packed our bags before heading to breakfast at 7:30AM.

8:15AM – We hoped to catch some piranhas for lunch, but first we stopped off to look at lily pads. The lily pads produced flowers that die in 24 hours. Another interesting thing about lily pads was that they produced prickly vines. While looking at the lily pads, we met some locals with a pet three-toed sloth named Lucho. We finally got to our fishing spot and casted our fishing poles. Pretty soon, we could feel little nibbles. We stayed for quite a while, but no one was able to hook a piranha. Both Alice and I were able to yank a fish out of water, but we weren’t able to completely hook it. I’m not sure if they were piranhas, since we only got a quick glimpse, and they were pretty small.

11:00PM – We got back to the lodge to wash up, finished packing, and then had lunch at 12:00PM.

1:00PM – I’m not sure why instead of the smaller, speedier boat, we took the larger, but slower ship back to Iquitos. The view of the Amazon River was nice. The sun was out, but with a lot of cloud cover, making it pretty pleasant. We were able to see a lot of rainbows along the way since it was raining in the distance.

3:30PM – We arrived at the Explorama main office and collected our luggage that we had left there. The Explorama bus then took us to the airport to catch our 5:35PM flight to Lima.

7:10PM – We arrived at Lima, collected our bags and then found a spot to repack our luggage, since we didn’t have time to do that at the Explorama office. At first we had trouble figuring out the check-in location for international flights, but Alice used her Spanish and asked a security guard for assistance.

8:30PM – Dinner was at the food court again. I had Papa John’s pizza again. Alice decided to try the Chinese-Peruvian dishes of Los Manos Menaras. Alice didn’t like it, but I found it to be pretty good. After dinner, we went to the souvenir shops to get rid of all our soles.

9:30PM – We got a voucher from Amazing Peru for entrance to the VIP Club at the airport. At first they had problems with our voucher, but they eventually let us in. There were lots to do in the VIP lounge. There were hors d’oeuvres and drinks. The first two alcoholic drinks were free. There were two plasma screen TVs in the entertainment room. There were even a bunch of stations where you could play Wii. Alice and I chose to go upstairs to use the computer and surf the net.

11:15PM – We were finally forced to leave the VIP lounge and board our plane. The plane took off on time at
11:40PM and we were scheduled to arrive in Houston fifteen minutes early.

6:00AM – We landed in Houston and got through customs pretty quickly. But that just means we got to wait longer for our connecting flight to SFO.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.